"We believe that the School’s programs are affected by a talented, enthusiastic, and loving collegial faculty. These men and women are recruited and retained based on their professional skills, their willingness to model the highest standards in every respect, and their commitment to professional and personal growth."
Excerpt from Cathedral School for Boys'
Statement of Philosophy
Founded in 1957, Cathedral School for Boys is an independent Episcopal school located on the grounds of Grace Cathedral, serving the San Francisco community. The School enrolls 265 boys in kindergarten through eighth grade and is fully accredited by the California Association of Independent Schools. Cathedral School for Boys strives to provide an education derived from three main sources: the highest academic and personal standards humanely applied; a diverse community united in its concern for the school and for the world; and an active engagement with religion and the spiritual dimension.
Academically, the School sets high standards in literacy, basic skills, self-discipline, the joy of learning, and the pursuit of wisdom. We set equally high standards in good behavior, caring, mutual respect, truth-telling and honor, and emphasize these qualities in all aspects of school life. Art, music, drama and physical education are integral parts of the curriculum. We prepare boys to enter demanding secondary schools confidently; we recognize that there are a variety of learning styles and paces among able students, and we try to teach accordingly. Teachers focus on learning styles that are boy-friendly, particularly hands-on, active lessons which allow for movement and vigor.
Cathedral School for Boys current openings:
Math Teachers (Upper School)
The School is seeking candidates for two positions for the 2018-2019 school year:
1. Full-time middle school math teacher for the 2018-19 school year.
2. Maternity leave middle school math teacher for the first trimester of the 2018-19 school year (approximately August 21, 2018 - December 1, 2018).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Plan, teach, and evaluate students in daily math classes (the anticipated teaching assignment will be 3 sections and 3 preps, that is, one section each at three different grade levels).
- Maintain the highest quality of instruction and expectations for students.
- Communicate effectively with parents.
- Collaborate with teachers and administrators in regular curricular review, ensuring best practices in math instruction.
- Write high school recommendation letters upon request.
- Serve as an advisor for a group of 8-10 students.
- Supervise recess and participate in other student activities and overnight field trips.
- Design and teach a course during intercession (does not apply to the maternity leave position).
- Attend faculty meetings, chapel, assemblies and other required school events.
- Five or more years of experience teaching math, preferably at the middle-school level, and including algebra.
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year institution. Teaching credential or advanced degree preferred.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Commitment to early adolescent education.
- Experience with frequent collaboration and an eagerness to plan units and lessons with other math colleagues.
- Demonstrated ability to differentiate instruction and address a range of learning styles.
- Familiarity with project-based learning and multicultural education is preferred.
- An eagerness to work in an all-boy environment and to embrace the School’s Mission.
How to Apply
Please send resume, cover letter, and references to Chad Harlow
, Director of Upper School. For email submissions, please use the subject line: Middle School Math Position. Video recorded lessons are welcomed.